If you haven’t heard 99% Invisible, go listen to an episode. The show is about the more overlooked aspects of architecture and design, and is one of the best produced and thoughtful pieces of radio out there.
Here are some favorite show topics:
- “DeafSpace,” about how an architect created a building specifically for the Deaf
- Abandoned baths in the basement of the US Capitol Building
- How paper money is designed (poorly)
- How and why the catastrophic Tacoma narrows bridge ever got built
- How the Teddy Bear beat out the Billy Possum as the quintessential American toy
Episodes are about 10 minutes long, so you could probably fit in a few today: Go to http://99percentinvisible.org/ or search for it on iTunes.
You can help them get there. If you can, I truly believe 99% Invisible will be the best show you look forward to every week.